[ANN] new version of services available for preview

Jason Rogers jacaetevha at fast-mail.org
Fri Sep 30 17:55:39 UTC 2005

On 09/30/2005 09:47 AM, Romain Robbes apparently said:

>         Hi Emilio,
>
>     I don't quite understand what you mean ... the behavior I have
> for now
>     is to both select the word and attempt to navigate, which
> deselects the word sometimes.
>
>     Just by reading your mail, I was thinking of doing navigation by
> triple-clicking
>     (was that what you meant btw?), which could maybe be doable. Would
>     everyone (Tim?) find that ok. I don't think Squeak can do triple-
> click to select
>     a line or paragraph (and can't check because my double-click is
> modified ;-) ).

[snipped]

I am jumping in kind of late on this discussion, so I apologize if it's
already been covered.

What about using the function keys or another keystroke combination?  My
preference would be to *not* modify the double click action.  The way I
do it in Eclipse is to doubleClick.  Then I press F3 or some other key
combination and it takes me there.  Eclipse also has the concept of the
browser back and forward buttons that will help me navigate through my
history of navigations -- these actions are also bound to Alt-LeftArrow
and Alt-RightArrow.

Eclipse also adds the ability to navigate and get information by just
placing the cursor anywhere in the text.  So for this code,
"someObject.doS[cursor positioned here]omething();", pressing F3 takes
me to the method doSomething() in someObject's class.  I don't know how
hard that would be in Squeak, but it sure would be nice to have.

Just my unwarranted two cents...

--
Jason Rogers

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I,
but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in
the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved
me, and gave himself for me."
    Galatians 2:20