[BUG] 0003400: Load Latest Code Updates Gives Walkback

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Apr 2 18:39:29 UTC 2006

On 02.04.2006, at 20:22, John Pierce wrote:

> Yes, I did "open" SqueakMap in my 7020 3.9 image which requires it to
> load the latest SqueakMap. There probably is no way around "not doing
> this upgrade" if you want to use SqueakMap in 3.9. Right?

Yes. Or just not use it...

> Ok, I was just more or less curious how everyone who is working on
> 3.9a gets the latest updates. I suspect from your response, it is not
> the "update" stream, but rather directly from MC repositories.

I personally rebuild my images quite often from scratch, and as a basis,
I use the latest 3.9a. So I don't update my work-image using the
update stream
at all...  but the images are quite hacked, so rebuilding them from
scratch
is a good thing to do to make sure that there is a way to re-create
them at all.

I tend to like the rebuild more then the update way... rebuild
makes sure that there is a defined process of getting form a standard
image
to whatever you are working on. When you just have one image that is
updated,
you can come in a situation where moving your stuff into a new image
will be
a lot of work.

To make the rebuild-from-scratch way really practical, it would be
nice to
have an automatic build-and-test server. This could rebuild from
latest (release
or alpha) + add all the cool tools + load your project's source and
run all the tests.
And all that automatically over night...

>> for 3.9b we think about using an updates based updatestream for
>> making it
>> easier to track changes.
>
> Don't do it on my account. I am just trying to figure out how to work
> with the latest and greatest. If there is a good way to keep my image
> current that I'm not aware of then let me know.

updating an image is one of the weak spots of the current 3.9a process.
In a way, it's much better then what we had: loading via the update
stream
as we did up to 3.8 will overwrite any change you did, MC will do a
true merge.
The negative side is that merging is of course much slower.

I will put the problem of the wrong SM repository on the TODO.

     Marcus