new linux install confused!

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Apr 22 12:44:46 UTC 2006

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 08:19:55AM -0400, ron wrote:
> I would like to be able to run squeak from the command line. But it
> only works if I am in:
>
> /home/ron/squeak
>
> If any one has any suggestions or improvments I would appreciate it.

You can install the VM that you built by running:

  # make install

Building the VM and running Squeak should be done under your normal
user ID ("ron"). In order to do the install, you will need to be
root when you run the "make install" (use the "su" command, or perhaps
"sudo make install" if your Linux system is set up to let you do that).

This will set up the VM and plugins in /usr/local/bin/squeak and
/usr/local/lib/squeak/, and you will then be able to run Squeak from
the command line in any directory.

You will also want to make a directory in your file space, such
as perhaps "/home/ron/mysqueakfiles". Put your image and changes
files along with a copy of the sources file into this directory,
and use this directory when you run your Squeak image.

Make one more directory, say "/home/ron/mysqueakfiles/backups".
Every once in a while, save a backup copy of your working image
and changes files in the backups directory. This will help you
out if you accidentally mess up your image while you are learning
about Squeak.

Dave