Looking for good souls

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Sun Apr 23 08:33:07 UTC 2006

Hello Tim,

Saturday, April 22, 2006, 7:23:57 PM, you wrote:

tR> I feel the need to make a couple of points here:-

tR> a mailing list for newcomers and other learners to ask questions is a
tR> good thing so long as enough people already knowledgeable and able to
tR> spend time helping actually take part. A mailing list is not a good

this for me is the most important part, as only people can tell you
that a different question might be more helpful than the reply to the
current question.

tR> more importantly we need *content*. I'd bet that almost every
tR> plausible newcomer question has been asked and answered but we have
tR> no sensible record. Searching a mailing list archive isn't really

Content is just too fixed and reflects a certain point of view.

Questions often are implicitly about not knowing what to ask and IMHO
content is not well equipped to deal with this kind of question.

Searching content easily turns into frustration when the searching
persons mind is locked and better organisation of the content is no
help for this problem.

It just needs people.

tR> more important still, we need *commitment* to do this and keep it up

Yes but we start and then everyone can see how far the commitment goes
and hopefully the added commitment of people willing to help will be
sufficient to get some more people into this community.

tR> to date and answer questions and take the the answers and make them
tR> into newer or better tutorials and articles. We need people that are
tR> competent (or great!) teachers to actually decide to make the effort

an interested pupil can make up for a lot of incompetence in a teacher
if the teacher is willing. This is how squeak dev works :-)) Note the
smiley!

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net