Looking for good souls

francois schnell francois.schnell at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 09:16:14 UTC 2006

On 23/04/06, Markus Gaelli <gaelli at emergent.de> wrote:

> I also think it is important not to end up with a plethora of lists,
> so my suggestion is to reuse squeakland for also posing and answering
> basic smalltalk questions.
> - Kim, would it be ok to ask smalltalk questions on squeakland?
> I think one factor of the success of the french squeak list, is that
> it focuses on education, be it with etoys or smalltalk.

I actually think it would be a bad  idea  to mix using etoys questions with
finding your way in the class browser (not the same thing, not the same
targeted audience).

Concerning the french Squeak-list, which is a good list, if you look closely
you won't see a lot people actually *learning* smalltalk : giving example of
problem they have with their code, asking for help, etc.

For the moment the Squeak lists reflect its community state.
Apart from Squeakland  (for etoys), Squeak is  orientated  research/hackers
which is OK   but I believe it *needs" students/teachers/people *learning*
Squeak to produce useful tools-apps (not mainly research ones)

If Squeak-Smalltalk doesn't succeed in that it will *always* stay a platform
for researchers/hackers. This is not bad obviously, it's just a question of
choice.

francois

Cheers,