Squeak Awk Rumor

SmallSqueak smallsqueak at rogers.com
Mon Apr 24 18:54:04 UTC 2006

Hi Craig,

    Sorry, couldn't get back to you sooner.

    I'm just back from a trip.
    (Oh man, those mushrooms are gooood ;-)

>  > It is rumored Squeak Awk will be used to run the robots in the Sun
>  > SPOT project (NASA is going to land the robots on the sun to count the
>  > spots?)... Oh, BTW, that Squeak Awk is named Squawk and it's a VM.
>
> Squawk has nothing to do with awk. It's Java implemented in Java,
> inspired by Squeak's reflective VM approach. Project Sun SPOT ("Small
> Programmable Object Technology") is a wireless sensor network platform,
> featuring devices which run Squawk; see [1].
>

> [1] http://www.sunspotworld.com

    Thanks for the link.

    So, Sun SPOT project has nothing to do with counting the
    spots on the sun and Sqawk has nothing to do with Awk.

    Maybe Sun is just trying to make people think that these
    robots have "Squeak Inside" (TM ;-)

    I hope The Board will take some kind of action!

    Since Andrew is not on board, litigation is out of the question. ;-)

    To make best use of the strength of The Board and to beat Sun
    at its own game, let's hope SqF will spend 500 bucks to get
    couple of SPOT's, load them with S4ME (Squeak 4 Micro Edition)
    to show the world what it really means to have "Squeak Inside"
    the robots.

    Cheers,

    SmallSqueak.