ST2JS - Smalltalk to Javascript translator

Diego Gomez Deck DiegoGomezDeck at consultar.com
Wed Aug 2 17:28:21 UTC 2006

Hi Craig,

> Hi Diego--
>
>      Neat!
>
> > I think there are a good set of interesting things to try, like Port
> > the Spoon minimal set of objects to JS.  (I mean, translate ST to
> > JS).  The performance will be awful, but every internet-browser can be
> > converted in a Smalltalk environment!
>
>      That would be fun. Speaking of Spoon, I'd like to use your
> translator to write a web-based Spoon installer. Have you successfully
> translated any applications which use the network or spawn host processes?

I didn't try anything of these.

In fact the current "Smalltalk environment" emulated on the browser is
very, very small and incomplete and it's getting bigger only when it's
becomes a need.

To use the network from JS in browsers, you have to hack over a HTTP
requests to a web server. Plain sockets are just not available for JS
code.

Firing processes from javascript (in browsers) is, AFAIK, not posible.
What can be done is a type of multithreading for javascript processes
(see: http://slipwave.info/#js.cps.Thread)

Cheers,

-- Diego