Modularity agin

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Mon Aug 7 17:55:42 UTC 2006

stéphane ducasse wrote:
>> For the abstractions and tools: Sure, we don't have the perfect
>> solution for these issues. But how about dealing with the parts that
>> are utterly trivial to deal with? Like, for example, why not
>> immediately remove all the packages that have almost no further
>> dependencies, like: FFI, Speech, Nebraska, Sound, OB?
>
> We will try to remove what can be remove easily:
>     FFI, Speech, Nebraska (sound I do not know),
>     and declare that the mini image.

That's not what I mean. I don't want to "declare" a mini image - that's
a pointless exercise if we start with the definition that a mini image
contains everything that we can't remove easily. The whole point of
making headway towards modularity is that step by step we decrease
dependencies. As such, removing the above is useful if and only if it is
seen as a stepping stone for the next version (which will hopefully
remove even more) not as an end-goal.

Cheers,
   - Andreas