More FFI Help with long buffers

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Aug 8 01:02:39 UTC 2006

Oh, one more thing:
> So far nothing is working.  I believe that the problem is the buffer.  Does
> anyone have any suggestions of other things I could try?
>
> The Error I'm receiving is consistent:
> //
> // MessageId: ERROR_ALREADY_EXISTS

Since the error isn't signaled by the FFI itself but rather an error
reported by the windows function GetLastError() in response to a
CreateFile() request I'm almost certain that your conclusion that "the
problem is the buffer" is wrong. If the buffer were improperly
initialized I would either expect Squeak to crash (as data is
read/written) or its contents to be more or less random. The chances
that the random contents just so matches an existing file that just so
happens to be opened in the call seems ... unlikely.

Cheers,
   - Andreas