"0 tinyBenchmarks" results

Michael Haupt mhaupt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 05:59:32 UTC 2006

Hi Andreas,

thanks for your explanations.

On 8/9/06, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
> tinyBenchmarks are micro-benchmarks measuring the speed of bytecode
> execution and message sending. They have no meaning other than to
> compare VMs, e.g., it is not valid to make any larger claims from
> certain results of tinyBenchmarks.

Sure; I had no such intention.

> > (format: [bc/sec, sends/sec]):
> > [20565552,1355113]
> > [20901371,1352909]
>
> ... these results are *way* too close to be able to compare them.
> Benchmarks results vary based on load of the machine and just having
> your email client check for mail in the background, or some memory
> swapping would perfectly explain the differences you see in the above.

Hm, I see... well, there was no e-mail client running when I ran those
measurements, but of course the Linux box was also not running in
single-user mode (which would of course not eliminate swapping
overhead).

All in all, I have ran the benchmarks 10 times, and there are also
differences like [20565552,1355113] vs. [21024967,1269320], where the
bc/sec rate is 2.2 % larger and the sends/sec rate 6.7 % smaller in
the second pair. Those are also insignificant, given your explanation.

Thanks again!

Are there more complete benchmarks available that would also run on
the SqueakOnJava VM, i.e., in a mini image?

Best,

Michael