Modularity again

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Wed Aug 9 07:37:59 UTC 2006

Hi Craig,

on Wed, 09 Aug 2006 09:02:33 +0200, you wrote:
>      I certainly agree that any successful modularization strategy
> includes ugly grunt work (I'm doing it too). But I think Andreas said
> more than that: that the fitness of Spoon's tools for this task can only
> be evaluated when the task is finished.

This would contradict all the benefits that Smalltalk stands for:
incrementality, encapsulation, lazyness, simulation, prototyping, etc. It
would (if true) be the historically first case that Smalltalk (Squeak)
cannot be applied to itself.

> If everyone held that view, then
> no one would  use Spoon's tools for the task. It seems to imply that I,
> Craig, must disentangle the entire system before it's worth anyone
> else's while to use Spoon. I don't think this is true. (Perhaps I
> exaggerate. Perhaps disentangling some subset of the system would be
> suitably compelling. At any rate, I continue making modules.)

Please do that, regardless of how Andreas' comments are interpreted
(written with neutrality in mind).

/Klaus