[ANN] Gjallar release "Eldrimner" 0.1

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Fri Aug 11 07:53:55 UTC 2006

Hi!

Yanni Chiu <yanni at rogers.com> wrote:
> goran at krampe.se wrote:
> > We are pleased to announce the first public availability of Gjallar (see
> > http://swiki.krampe.se/gjallar) as release "Eldrimner", modestly
> > numbered 0.1, typically for daredevil developers only. The license for
> > Gjallar is the new BSD license.
>
> Excellent work. A great example that newcomers to Squeak/Seaside
> (and Magma) can use. Congrats and thanks to you and the sponsors
> who've open-sourced it.

Thanks. Yes, I also think that this app can be used as a larger "sample"
app which you could copy stuff from.
We have done quite a bit of generally useful things, like a syslog-ish
Log mechanism, a Scheduler a la cron, a bunch of session classes (with
and without Seaside) with Magma integration, a connection pool (mostly
copied from Kilauea, even though I have probably patched it into
oblivion now), a large scale use of the Command pattern blablabla...

> I downloaded the zip file, ran some doIt's from the workspace,
> and then the login appeared in the browser. (There were a few
> missteps along the way, but nothing serious).

Please tell and I can tweak these things to get it as painless as
possible, even if its details. :)

> There were some odd pauses (hour glass cursor), but a little

When initializing the db there is a lot of stuff going on.

> patience and they cleared. I had to cmd-. to regain control at
> one point - I think it was trying to send mail, and timing out.

Ok. Possibly. Or rather, it probably tried popping. The default settings
for POP3 is bogus of course but by default all Q2Services are activated
so it will try to pop. I forgot to deactivate most of those services in
the default image. The services available are Q2Service subclasses and
each has a class comment. I think you would want to deactivate all to
start with using:

	Q2Scheduler deactivateAllServices  (IIRC)

> I followed the method that created the sample data and eventually
> figured out some userid/pwd to use. Unfortunately, that's about
> all the time I have to look at it for the moment.

No problem :). The initial accounts etc are also described at the Swiki:

	http://swiki.krampe.se/gjallar/12

...should perhaps have pointed to the Swiki more forcefully in that
Doits window. :)

regards, Göran