FFI on Squeakmap (was: Re: [ANN] Squeak3.9g-7054...)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Aug 15 07:01:44 UTC 2006

Hi -

The FFI is now up at SqueakMap. Grab the latest 3.9 "update map from the
net" and you should be able to load it without any problems. If you (or
anyone else) encounters problems, please file a bug - I think I got the
installation issues nailed but more testing is welcome.

I have also used this update to make a few more changes like:

* Restructuring the FFI packages: This was required since the kernel
needs to be loaded first such that the rest (tests+examples) can be
parsed properly.

* Some "interesting" initialization fixes to make it possible to load
the FFI-Kernel package properly. Obviously nobody has ever to
load/unload those before - there were bugs in there that made even me
blush ;-)

* SUnit-ized the existing tests: While noting that the "FFI-Plugin"
category contained only tests, I changed it to "FFI-Tests" and rewrote
the existing tests to be SUnit style.

There is one problem left, namely that an unload of the FFI will only be
clean if and only if PackageInfo is updated first. 3.9 contains an
outdated version of PI which does not support scripts properly and while
executed even if not preserved) unloading will require manual cleanup.
Can't be helped at this point.

Cheers,
   - Andreas