Proposal for Extensible Primitives (was: FFI)

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 07:16:24 UTC 2006

> Let's repeat the last part: "while explicitly preserving its meaning or
> behavior". Not to break things. I'm perfectly cool with that.

Unfortunately my suggestion is no refactoring from your point of view,
it breaks backward compatibility.

I am not in favor of keeping backward compatibility, in most cases it
makes things worse and there are already plenty of bad examples in
Squeak.

The following presentation of Gilad Bracha might be interesting to
read, especially the end of the presentation where it says: "Rotting
Bits for a better World -- A model which expects incompatibility as a
matter of course is better than denying change."

	http://www.bracha.org/oopsla05-dls-talk.pdf

Cheers,
Lukas

--