Leaving SqueakFoundation board

Stéphane Ducasse stephane.ducasse at univ-savoie.fr
Wed Aug 16 20:37:29 UTC 2006

Hi,

I want to thank the people that voted for me but I will leave the
squeakfoundation board.
I would like to thank the people that gave money to the foundation
when it was not even something
that was based on election. Thank you all for all the trust you put
on me. Really this was a warm feeling
and I took my responsibility quite seriously. I had dreams but I
could not make them reality. But
may be my dreams were dangerous too.

I have a different vision of what the foundation can do to push
squeak. This is already a moment that I was
hesitating to leave (and put myself my own deadline). I realize that
this is  weakening the foundation
but I prefer to leave now and focus on cool other stuff. Still I
encourage everybody to support the foundation
and I'm sure that some cool stuff will happen.

Now you can know what I think in a nutshell and I'm sure other
boarder will rectify me if I'm wrong.
I wanted the foundation to push some development of infrastructural
elements (process for
release team supported tools [1], fixing infrastructural aspects,
test server, MC2...) but
on one hand, there is not enough money (but we could collect money)
and more important
other consider that this can destroy the community (which can be true).

I got mad because if the foundation cannot afford to help the people
doing the dirty work
(integrating bugfixes and creating new release) then I give it a
limited interest. I think that this is a dream
to think that Squeak happen just like that. Of course one can argue
that open-source is to work the nights on your
night sleep and it is easy to say that if this is not fun to do it we
should stop doing it, but it is another to do
not without any support. And the foundation could have acknowledge
this fact. Since it did not, I went mad
and deciding to spend my good energy in better stuff.

	[1] seriously the release team CANNOT continue to work the way it
worked.
	I do not want to see marcus burnt like that and get sick of Smalltalk.
	I prefer to see him inventing the next squeak compiler and for that
we need better tools to support
	and invent the process. Because we can invent a lot of fun stuff too.

I think that the board will do a good job without me. So if you want
to organize an election at least we will have
some animation and opportunity to talk (or communicate).

Stef

PS: if some of you are interested in gathering some money so that we
get something done please contact me
off-list.