UTF-8 in Squeak (Linux, X11)

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at squeakland.org
Thu Aug 17 03:17:27 UTC 2006

  Xinyu,

> Some Asian Pacific language version are also available. Yoshiki has built one which supports Chinese input and display.
> We are translating the menus, titles, labels, etc. into Chinese now. (There are nearly 5000 items need to be
> translated.) If you are interesting in it, please have a look at:
> http://liuxinyu95.googlepages.com/squeak.dev.chinese
> (I am sorry that it is a page in Chinese)

  Looks good.  As I said, not all of these 5,000 are used.  One thing
we could do is something like:

  * Do 'r-unsed' (remove unused) in the language editor.
  * File in the fairly complete Japanese translation.
  * Then translate all 'untranslated' items.

The problem is that the untranslated items include 1) the phrases only
used in the external or non-existent packages and 2) the phrases
that are "synthesized" at runtime.  The remove-unused feature removes
both 1 and 2.  To supply the needed ones, using Japanese translation
would be a good candidate.

  The above is just an idea and not proven to work, but I think it is
generally a good one.  It could cut the number of phrases by 1,000 or
such.  (On the other hand, if you don't think that removing 1,000 out
of 5,000 is significant, you can just go ahead and do all.  It might
save some future work.)

-- Yoshiki