[V3dot9] new 3.9 category for SM

Andrew Chambers andrew at njoy.name
Thu Aug 17 16:22:04 UTC 2006

goran at krampe.se wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Andrew Chambers <andrew at njoy.name> wrote:
>
>> from
>> [V3dot9] Re: New PI with postscripts/preamble etc
>>
>>  >
>>  >> Yup, a while back:
>>  >>     http://map.squeak.org/categoriestree
>>  >>
>>  >> I can rename it to 3.9 if you wish (does not affect anything).
>>  >
>>  > please
>>
>> Please, please DON'T just rename category Squeak3.9-alpha to Squeak3.9.
>>
>> Doing so could give the uninitiated end-user the false security that all
>> the packages in category Squeak3.9 have been tested, blessed and work
>> with squeak3.9 (which they might/probably do?).
>>
>> So instead, can you please keep the Squeak3.9-alpha category and create
>> a new Squeak3.9 category - when 3.9 is released. So initially the
>> Squeak3.9 category will be empty until people register their packages on
>> squeakmap under the squeak3.9 category.
>>
>> By the way, thanks for all your hard work.
>>

> Hmmm, this "issue" has been discussed before - though I am unsure about
> what conclusion was made.
> If I keep the alpha category - we will end up with lots of alpha/beta
> categories, which I probably can't remove because packages and releases
> will still refer to them.
>
> I understand your objection "in theory" though. Perhaps we could
> introduce a new 3.9 and then eventually remove the alpha category and
> simply move those packages still left in there to the 3.9 category (or
> just drop them)?
>
> regards, Göran

I go with the new 3.9 category - which could be "marketed" to just
contain packages which the maintainers have tested and blessed to work
with the squeak 3.9 final.

I agree that the obsolete Squeak3.9-alpha category only be kept around
for a time limited period. During this time period, package maintainers
would have ample opportunity to upgrade their package releases from
alpha to final. At the end of said time period I think that any alpha
packages still left, should be dropped NOT automatically rolled forward.

How long should this time period be? - 6 months, 1 year - you choose.

But IMHO I would like to see the squeakmap Squeak3.9 (final) category to
only include quality blessed packages, not alpha packages that may or
may not work.

Andrew