What does it take to buy in to Squeak (was RE: Stef's departure from the SqueakFoundation board)

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 20:08:26 UTC 2006

On 8/19/06, Peter Crowther <Peter at ozzard.org> wrote:
> Here's an interesting question for the list members: what would it take for you to "buy in" to a central governance model for Squeak?  What would it have to look like, who would have to be in it, what would it have to be doing?

Here's another question: why would you want a central governance model
for Squeak?

As I've been advocating for years, I'd *like* Squeak to fragment. A
children's Squeak, a 3D platform Squeak, a web developer's Squeak, a
Win32 app developer's Squeak, etcetera.

So, all I can see SqF doing is to make sure that people don't
duplicate too much work, by defining some minimal core, and maybe a
clearing house for patches or something like that. But certainly not
some sort of central governance model - let the bits of community
organize themselves, it seems to work just fine...