What does it take to buy in to Squeak (was RE: Stef's departure from the SqueakFoundation board)

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca
Sat Aug 19 23:14:19 UTC 2006

On 2006 August 19 15:49, Peter Crowther wrote:
<snip:>

> Here's an interesting question for the list members: what would it take for
> you to "buy in" to a central governance model for Squeak?  What would it
> have to look like, who would have to be in it, what would it have to be
> doing?

As one of about 300(?) people who voted the SqF members, I'd say that each of
us "bought in" the program of each of the Squeak Foundation board members (by
voting for our candidates).

But, as the choice was about 7 members out of 9 candidates (BTW I just
unsuccesfully tried to find a page on squeak.org listing the board members),
and only few candidates provided an "agenda", I will try to be more specific
in answering your question ("The Board"="The central governance model you ask
about that I'd buy in"):

	1) "The Board" would start with defining what Squeak is - "Squeak" as a small
"SqueakCore" plus "Packages"  - Unfortunately I can only be intuitive here,
not saying I know what should be in "SqueakCore", likely it would be much
smaller than current Squeak, without Morphic, MVC (UI loadable, is that
possible?)

	2) "The Board" would steer the community to achieve separating the
"SqueakCore", and promote _tools_ that help achieving the separation, and
"re-loadability" of some most important packages.

	3) Once the separation is done, "The Board" would be repsonsible for steering
"SqueakCore" _only_.

	4) At this point, "The Board" would _promote_ forking SqueakCore into
"BackwardCompatibleSqueakCore" and "ExperimentalSqueakCore" , and promote and
work on tools that would enable porting packages from
"BackwardCompatibleSqueakCore" to "ExperimentalSqueakCore".
		- The "ExperimentalSqueakCore" would be:
			- based on Spoon
			- support Tweak loadability :)
			- maybe as Goran suggested use Pepsi as VM :)
	 	- Chances are that, at this point, multiple "ExperimentalSqueakCores" would
be created, forking the core further, hopefully some forks would merge and
fork further, and so on, creating multiple "Boards", which of the forks would
retain the honour to be named Squeak .. maybe there would be SqueakSmallland,
SqueakSqueakland, SqueakDevelopers etc.

milan