FW: Image Unique Identifier

Ron Teitelbaum Ron at USMedRec.com
Tue Aug 22 20:13:03 UTC 2006

Sorry about the HTML.

-Ron

From: Ron Teitelbaum
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 4:09 PM

All,

I need a unique image identifier.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

The identifier must be unique so that if someone copies an image to another
machine I get a new id.  It must also be unique by instance, so that if two
images or the same image is launched multiple times I should get unique
identifiers.   The id should be local and non transferable plus it should
never persist, since I would like to use this id to prevent movement between
images of objects like in spoon, magma, glorp, squeakELib, croquet, or any
other distributed objects scheme.

The id will be used first in my SSL implementation.

My first thought was to use Network Card NIC address + image PID.  Are these
values available through squeak?  Are they available across every platform?
(if they are an you know how to retrieve them please let me know)  What I
don’t like about these numbers is that they are public numbers.  What would
really be cool is if the VM assigned a UUID every time it started stored in
a non accessible object so that we could only get a string back instead of a
full object that someone might be tempted to move from image to image.

Thank you everyone for your help and ideas.  All suggestions are very much
welcomed!  Feel free to contact me off list too.

Ron Teitelbaum