Ladrillos (was SqueakCore System [proposal])

Giovanni Giorgi daitangio at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 07:07:57 UTC 2006

On 8/22/06, Pavel Krivanek <squeak1 at continentalbrno.cz> wrote:
> Hi Edgar,
>
> That's great that you are trying to create packages for the kernel
> image but remember that the image shloud be consistent after loading -
> empty Undeclared etc. I don't know why you need to have FileList or
> MessageTally in this package.
>
> I think that we need better packaging system - maybe something like
> Gentoo has. Packages use property named "use flags" that tell that for
> example MessageTally package may be compiled with the compression
> support.
>
> Does anybody know next good packaging systems we can learn from?

Mhhh difficult answer.
CPAN dependecy system seems good to me.
Even ruby gems works fine.
In the 2004 the Squeak maling list (I and  some other) tried to
"divide" the image in some uniform areas but was a very difficult
task.
I think we must aim to a lesser difficult task.
For instance an image with only these features can be quite good:
 Networking
 Base Stuff (Collection, Message Tally and so on)
 Math Base
 Minimal SqueakMap engine OR Minimal MCInstall

and optionally:
 Morph base

Pavel do you have a web page when can I study your "Image costruction kit"?
And yes, Landrillos sounds Good!

--
Software Architect
http://www.objectsroot.com/