Celeste Spam Howto wanted ;)

Giovanni Corriga giovanni at corriga.net
Tue Aug 22 21:58:54 UTC 2006

Il giorno lun, 21/08/2006 alle 10.08 +0200, Lex Spoon ha scritto:
> "Giovanni Giorgi" <daitangio at gmail.com> writes:
> > Spamming filtering is not an easy problem.
> > Most users prefer doing filtering on theri box.
> > For example my Telecom provider started to "offer" me an automatic
> > anti-spam, WITHOUT saying a word about this new services.
> >
> > Some of my emails was lost thank of this "great idea".
>
> Heh, lovely -- ISP's who know so much better than you they do not even
> need to bother telling you what they are doing.

Heh. If, like me, he's a customer of the main Italian ISP, then this
isn't the worst thing they've ever done. And nonetheless they're still
better than their competitors.

> Still, I find my emailing faster and more pleasant now that I started
> filtering on the server.  The false positives have not changed.  What
> has changed is that most email downloads are much faster, and I do not
> have to do a "compact" as often to get rid of all the spams.  On the
> downside, when I do have a false positive, I have to retrieve it off
> of the server instead of out of the .spam folder.  That is not a big
> deal compared to avoiding downloading all of the true spams.

I have a spam filter on my server which is very aggressive in
identifying spam, but I set it to only delete what clearly is spam. This
means that some of the messages I download end immediately in the spam
folder, though.

	Giovanni