Scripting syntax: all expressions or declarations?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Aug 23 15:36:06 UTC 2006

I'm not sure I understand this obsession with syntax for scripting.
Why on earth does it need to be human readable?

We have quite good tools for writing Smalltalk.
We can store the appropriate script/package/incantation in some form.
We can read it into a 'script runner' image.
Done.

Who cares if it looks like
System addMethodNamed:'raspberryTea' toClass:'Fooble' withContents:'^42'
or
abd45be89f20d0562dacf
  when examined in a text editor? Text editors are *so* last century.

tim
...now touch these wires to your tongue!