Scripting syntax: all expressions or declarations?

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Aug 23 20:34:45 UTC 2006

let us talk about a scenario.

I run my script headless and when I do not have X install I can still
edit my file with vi.
Now I have X installed and I use the powerSqueakImage to debug it.

So people prefer to edit file because with vi they just go 100 times
faster that all of
us typing with 10 fingers. So if we can find a nice syntax to help
this people hacking in
Smalltalk then we do not lose anything and we will be less trap in
our image.

I agree that texteditor seems old fashion. But let us face it the
image is one of the coolest
abstractions so far, but why the image is not just a cache that we
could rebuild on demand.
This implies that we got trapped into the image. An image should be
reproduceable.
I like Gnu smalltalk or S# for that. because you could get an image
from a list of file and
you could redo that as much as you wanted. This helps making sure
that you are not doing
dirty/easy things on the back

Stef