Scripting languages and IDEs (was: If python goes EToys...)

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Thu Aug 24 13:02:14 UTC 2006

I think that a script should not define new methods or classes.  A
script should just execute them.

I think it would be fine to say that a script always executes in an
image.  If you want to define new classes then you define a new image.
 Or, you could make the first line of the script file in  some
packages.

The big value of a scripting system is to let you write short programs
with little fuss.  If your script gets large then you should rewrite
it.

It is amusing that everybody is interested in defining the language,
but nobody seems to want to define the proper class library for a
scripting system.  The important part is string matching and I/O, not
the format for the language.  Make a script be the same as a
workspace, except that there is an automatic "do it" on the entire
script.

-Ralph