[ANN] Exupery 0.08 now released.

Bryce Kampjes bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 26 15:01:17 UTC 2006

stéphane ducasse writes:
 > Hi bryce
 >
 > Thanks!
 > I discussed once with someone I forgot the name about StExpury and he
 > told me that the target language was not totally
 > encapsulated so that port to mac would not be that easy.
 > Is it still the case?

Exupery should be reasonably portable to other CPUs. The main
decisions have always been made with portability in mind but I haven't
worried about the details. In my experience, generalisation is best
dealt with concrete examples. The first port will involve some work
removing some x86-32 assumptions that have crept into the earlier
phases of the compiler. Exupery's current design would suit a PPC
better than an x86.

The biggest problem I see with a PPC port is finding people who want
to do it, Apple's move to x86 is not helping.  I'd like to see people
do ports to other platforms. I've thought about porting to x86-64 bit
after the 1.0 release to increase the portability. A 64 bit port
should remove the x86-32 bit assumptions in the compiler's front end.

The assumptions are just calling conventions and a few work-arounds
for x86 ugliness.

Bryce