3dot9, can somebody say where we are in the release process?

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Aug 27 14:43:38 UTC 2006

We are trying to fix the condenseChanges bugs but this is not easy.
I spent some times to try to arrive to a smaller test fixture that
would show the problem.
But so far I have been too busy (esug is approaching and the academic
year too).

I thought that it would be better to ship 3.9 without the bug but I
will discuss with adrian
since he should be back from the military service to see. What we do.

On 27 août 06, at 00:17, Peace Jerome wrote:

> Can somebody say where we are in the release process
> of 3dot9?
>
> As far as I can see we are somewhere near the finish
> of 3dot9 except:
>
> 1) There are reports of the sources being corrupted.

yes

> 2) The need for some really big changes are coming out
> of the woodwork.
> -- ffi removal and the consequences of that.
> -- source file limitations

FFI has been removed
There is no source file limitation since we condenseChanges and
condenseSources in 7054

> 3) Some problems with condensed sources have become
> apparent to some. (see 1)
> -- how are these affecting the release?

See above

> 4) What is the method/process for accepting the final
> 3dot9?

Normally for us we will either find the bug and fix it and ship
or ship 3.9

> Accepting is a customer function rather than a
> developer function.

?
sorry but where is the money of the customer?

> -- Who is playing the customer here?
>

> I figure:
>
> 1) 3dot9 is done and I am just not aware of it.

you have 7054 which is gamma

> 2) Its not done but the resources for the doing of it
> have been exausted.

Not totally but nearly

> 3) Its some where near done.
>
> 4) We've just discovered what the real problems are.
> There will be a considerable delay in its doneness.

Stef