[ANN] FreeType+Subpixel anti-aliasing Update

Andrew Tween amtween at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 28 10:18:45 UTC 2006

>I would like to say a big 'THANK YOU' for this great work (i've tried it
>recently). It really rocks :)
>Can one hope that it will be supported in future?

Thanks.
I should point out that much of the work was done by others, both inside and
outside the Squeak community.
In particular, the FreeType library (www.freetype.org), the associated FT2Plugin
from Sophie (which is itself based on work by Arjen van Elteren and Ned Konz -
see "Freetype/2 Font Demo" on SqueakMap).
And, of course, the sub-pixel rendering, first implemented in Squeak by the late
Henrik Gedenryd. (this is still available, along with other stuff, from here -
http://www.lucs.lu.se/people/Henrik.Gedenryd/Squeak/ . ).

I'll happily take the credit (or blame? ) for the bits I've done myself, such as
the new bitblt mode, but mostly I have been integrating, harvesting, and
tweaking the work of others.

Of course, I will do what I can to support this in the future. It still needs
more work, and tidying up. And it remains to be seen what everyone wants to do
with it after that - whether it is included in a future Squeak release/vm  etc.

Cheers,
Andy