Thoughts from an outsider

Ramon Leon ramon.leon at allresnet.com
Wed Aug 30 16:21:02 UTC 2006

> But no matter how you get them here, it wouldnt matter one
> bit today because they wont stay.  Why?  Because smalltalk
> documentation is like a ghost town.
>   When I found whysmalltalk.com (shows up #4 if you google "smalltalk
> tutorial") I was excited about all the examples and
> tutorials.  After 90% of the links pointed nowhere I started
> doing searches on the net to find out if I was simply too
> late, maybe smalltalk was dead already.  And your own squeak
> site isn't much better.  Nothing screams "no one lives here anymore"
> like dead links.  And the more dead links the loader the scream.
>
> And dont go down the road that "smalltalk is simple so the
> code documents itself".  The code NEVER documents itself,
> that is a cop-out and a bold face lie.  If you don't want to
> document then for God's sake, hand it off to someone who
> will.  Not every single method ever of course, but anything
> the API user uses directly should be documented.
>
> And it needs to be consistant too.  I'm a "digger", if it is
> there I will find it.  But most people aren't.  If your
> solution is "well go to the class side, there is maybe some
> method there that documents the class" then you don't have a
> solution.  "Documentation is always on the class side in the
> 'documentation' protocol (and here is how you find that)"
> would be much better.
>
> You have a very friendly mail list, the best I've ever seen
> to be honest.
> But that doesn't overcome documentation.  People are not
> trained to look on mailing lists for documentation.  When
> thinking about users you have to think Homer Simpson.  You
> can scream "look in the news groups" on every page and he
> will say "Thanks, what is the link to/program that shows the
> documentation?".
>
> I hope someone somewhere finds something I said useful. :)

Great post, but one comment.  I used to feel the same way, until I realized
sample code is the best documentation there is, and alt + n on any method
pulls up every reference to that method in the image providing me with
plenty of examples of that method in use.  The browsers and code have become
THE documentation to me at this point and I rarely find I need, or want,
anything more than that.  I don't think it's a cop out or a lie to say the
code is self documenting, it's simply a point of view one comes to hold
after working in Smalltalk long enough.