Thoughts from an outsider

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 30 17:58:39 UTC 2006

I seem to be off the list at the moment or missing messages so I
missed the first post apparently.

The fact is, no matter how obvious the language is there are patterns
we use.  Sure in some instanses the method can be obvious enough
to be understood.  But there are plenty of OO patterns that are not
obvious if you have not seen them before and sometimes even if you
have.  You may be able to read from the code what it is doing, but
you are going to be thinking "why in the world is he doing this?".

Also, if you work with a pretty complicated subsystem (i.e. uses lots
of underlying objects to get work done) do you really find it a good
solution to dig through class after class after class just to find out
what an interface (i.e. what the subsystem end users use) method
does?  And even if you do, someone new to the language isn't.

And must every usage of a new subsystem be a trip through every
method in that system?  Can't I just get a list of what the useful
methods are and how to use them?

I appreciate the simplicity of the language, but it is because of this
reason one must guard against the false feeling of "self documenting
code".  You don't have to document every method ever, but ANY
interface to the subsystem should be documented some how and
any method over a certain number of lines should be documented.

Even if you coded right in pure english, I still wouldn't know *why*
you did it the way you did, and therefor I wouldn't know *why* I
shouldn't just change it.