Thoughts from an outsider

Rich Warren rwmlist at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 23:45:51 UTC 2006

On Aug 31, 2006, at 5:52 AM, Eric Winger wrote:

> On Aug 31, 2006, at 2:35 AM, Rich Warren wrote:
>
>> Also, I  hate being isolated from the rest of my desktop. I'm a
>> mac user. I like my mac. I like my mac apps. I wish Smalltalk
>> could be part of that environment. Visual Works gets a few points
>> here. At least it looks like a native interface (Though, the UI
>> doesn't behave in a consistently native manner--which can actually
>> be more annoying sometimes. And it doesn't run on intel macs yet.).
>
> FScript (mentioned already) & Ambrai Smalltalk http://
> www.ambrai.com/ are two nice smalltalk frameworks for interacting &
> constructing apps using the cocoa framework. Fscript is the
> scripting variant & Ambrai is closer to a full-featured smalltalk.
>
> Eric

I use FScript--but mostly I use it as a developer's tool. I haven't
really figured out how to use it to write code yet (other than
executing simple things from the workspace). Still, it's great for
poking around, especially when trying to examine existing apps.

Ambrai looks nice. Of course, it's a beta trial release, and I didn't
see anything on the site about how much the actual release would cost
(or if there would be a personal version for open source development).

However, both of these are Mac-only. While I use a mac, often I have
to write code that can be executed on PCs. That leaves me with
VisualWorks and Squeak. I like the fact that Squeak is open source.

The biggest UI problem I have is the fact that Squeak's private
window really mucks with my regular work flow. Typically I use Expose
a lot--it lets me move effortlessly from window to window (I know, a
lot of people don't like Expose--my wife can't stand it. But it
really works for me). I can move between apps very quickly. I can
also move between all the windows of a single application.

There would be a very big efficiency gain if I could manage my Squeak
windows the same way I manage my other Mac windows.

I think this can be generalized to all UI interactions. The more the
UI for Squeak resembles the underlying UI of the host OS, the more
efficient you can be. You can have a UI that is enhanced above and
beyond the host OS--as long as it follows the same behaviors as the
underlying OS, users can leverage their existing knowledge and skills
while working in Squeak.

-Rich-