Squeak and Namespaces

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Dec 1 16:05:14 UTC 2006

Wolfgang Eder <edw at generalmagic.at> writes:
> Hello,
> I have followed the discussion and would like to chime in.
> What I have understood so far is that the proposal makes
> it possible to separate the namespace name from the class
> name by using a separator in the "traditional" class name.

Just to toss in my votes:

1) I am not sure that SM::Package is an improvement over SMPackage.
It does not look like a large improvement, anyway.

2) A general hierarchy is an improvement over one-level.  If you have
a project with 1000 classes in it, then you need multiple namespaces
within your project, and you want to group them under an umbrella
identifier of your project.  Without hieriarchical names, you will
have to invent a prefix for all your namespace names....

-Lex