Squeak and Namespaces

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 1 21:05:23 UTC 2006

>From: Göran Krampe <goran at krampe.se>
>To: "The general-purpose Squeak developers
>list"<squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
>Subject: Re: Squeak and Namespaces
>Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 09:24:38 +0100 (CET)
>
>IMHO calling this a "syntax change" is a bit on the harsh side. Croquet
>(or is it Tweak?) allowing positional argument syntax - that is a much
>larger change IMHO.

They allow positional arguments?  Why?  Or are you talking about the <>
stuff.

>Sure, weird and uncommon must be bad. Let's just turn Squeak/Smalltalk
>into one of the "other languages" by emulating how they work - that seems
>better - let's add imports and... hmmm, we could even start putting the
>classes in files on disk - then it would be much simpler to find those
>import statements! :)

But you are doing almost exactly what C++ does (a namespace in C++ just gets
stuck on the front of the symbol).  The only difference is that C++ has a
bunch of complicated import statements for compile time convenience.  So I
wouldn't say it is such a different concept.