Squeak and Namespaces

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Sat Dec 2 21:14:23 UTC 2006

Hi!

"J J" <azreal1977 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >From: goran at krampe.se
> >Hi!
> >
> >The conclusion is false - they *do* help avoid clashes, but sure they
> >don't prevent clashes from ever being even theoretically possible. And
> >so? If prefixing didn't actually help avoid clashes - then why do you
> >think people use prefixes in the first place?
>
> They help avoid prefixes exactly as much as prefixing does.  No more, no
> less.  What we are basically talking about is manual prefixing with a few

Of course! :) Prefixes are just as "valid" namespaces as any other
namespaces solution is.
They are ALL about having a named space and putting names in there.
AFAIK.

> letters vs. manual prefixing with (probably) a few letters plus two colons,
> plus the posibility to hide the prefix with the colon solution.
>
> So the two options are almost the same except the colon solution makes the
> classes uglier, but there are more options about what to do with the
> prefixes since the tools can detect them.

This "ugliness" notion is interesting since I personally think
WAComponent is uglier than Component etc.

> >You lost me. Yes, seeing Foo::Bar indicates that Bar is not unique in
> >your image.
>
> I was responding to the assertion that we would only ever see the short
> name.  But the system as I understood (and you seem to be describing here
> again) it would show all conflicting names explicitly and the example given
> had lots of conflicting names.  But I guess it is a moot point.  Once the

I wonder what situation would give you "lots of conflicting names".
AFAIK it is still pretty uncommon.

And again, even if there ARE 4 projects using say "Component" - it is
not typically so that you happen to have all 4 in your image at the same
time.

regards, Göran