Smalltalk bounty (Re: Squeak and Namespaces)

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 4 19:26:58 UTC 2006

>From: "Michael van der Gulik" <mikevdg at gmail.com>
>To: "The general-purpose Squeak developers
>list"<squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
>Subject: Re: Smalltalk bounty (Re: Squeak and Namespaces)
>Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 11:03:40 +1300
>
>...or you could save your money and wait :-). I *need* Namespaces for
>security in my DPON project. Eventually I'll have some code to show; I
>worked on it a bit in the weekend, but got pulled away by the rest of life
>:-(.

I was thinking of more then just namespaces.  I was thinking I would throw
the question out there, and if enough people said they would donate then we
could make a list of what are the biggest priorities that squeak needs and
none of us are going to do in the foreseeable future.

>My design is roughly as follows. I'm still working on it, so it may change:

Did you look at the Gemstone stuff that I reposted?  It sounds like that
system is close to your goals and it adds no new syntax (no dot syntax, no
colons, just normal message sends afaik).  And I think the security of it is
nice as well since it looks at the user compiling the code and then makes
the link at compile time.  If you file out your changes and someone else
files them in, it looks like that stuff would get rebuilt so the only
security problem would be if you ship the byte codes directly, but I guess
they probably have some solution for that.