Squeak and Namespaces

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 6 17:55:02 UTC 2006

>From: goran at krampe.se
>To: The general-purpose Squeak developers
>Subject: Re: Squeak and Namespaces
>Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 21:58:49 +0200
>
>Hi!
>
>Let me rephrase that:
>
>"Comparing those two I am definitely in favor of :: - but note that the
>Gemstone style works *in my proposal too* - but then it would be a
>normal runtime lookup and not a
>compile time lookup - which *given the syntax* is pretty intuitive
>IMHO."

Ah I get it.  Yes that is true, their implementation is some what magical.
Though no more magical then #ifTrue:ifFalse end up being.

>Now - if you are worried about changing syntax - I would actually
>consider the GemStone difference much more "dangerous". :)

Honestly, as petty as it sounds, I just care about the colons.  I look at a
class definition and I have to see that.  To me it would feel more smalltalk
to just see an extra "NameSpace:" keyword in the class definition and
"(MyNameSpace at: #Component) new" for explicit class instantiation (i.e.
when you need a class outside of your local namespace).  In fact that feels
a *lot* more smalltalkish to me.

But anyway, that is just my opinion.  If you end up doing it can it at least
be unloadable? :)  Nothing against you personally of course.  I just find it
ugly.  The only thing worse would be dollar signs on the variable names or
something.