Help needed on reply about squeak

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Mon Dec 11 15:39:43 UTC 2006

I received a reply on another mailing list from a person who appears to
have installed and briefly tried squeak, but had some negative comments.
I was wondering if others here could comment on his reply about squeak
and I'll condense a msg to him and send it out to the mailing list.

The original msg was a request (from someone else) asking about audio
software for children - the thread also included general software for
children.

Here's his short msg:

===
Just installed it. A very creative but frustrating package. As with too
many of these things, one must be able to read and that in English (or a
few European languages?). Fine print abounds in what at first looks like
a very sparse UI.

The program abounds with objects and widgets. Some very creative and
versatile, others frustratingly crude. Graphic objects like squares
cannot be resized (nothing stops one from reprogramming them and then
dutifully uploading the scalable versions for others to enjoy--smalltalk
was once the rage.)

Smalltalk 80 is, well, 26 years old. Before Unicode so is incompatable
with mutlingual keyboard choices. No Hebrew for my daughter, not in UI
and cannot type it in to text objects either. Truetype fonts (newer than
smalltalk80) are beatutiful but they are also Unicode based nowadays.

I think most kids would enjoy trying various widgets but run out of
patience doing anything more with them. Most adults would as well.