Seaside Performance, QoS (was: Smalltalk Web Host Opens)

Cédrick Béler cbeler at enit.fr
Tue Dec 12 08:55:41 UTC 2006

>> I don't know what virtual hosting mechanism
>> underlies the two sites, but I think there
>> is an "apples to oranges" comparision here.
>
> That has been discussed on the seaside mailinglist too. It uses a
> technique similar to DabbleDB.
> Honestly I don't see how you get anywhere with 32 MB and Squeak/Seaside.
same, and especially, I found the demo very slow (counter, multi) on
firefox from linux and windows...

just to give an idea, I have a server for 30€/month
(www.dedibox.fr or www.dediboxinternational.com (same but more
expensive...))
-160Gb HD
-1go Ram
-up/dw unlimited
-the proc is non standard though (VIA C7 2Gh with material ssl...)
-but of course no support, ... etc...

So, of course, I'm not asking for same characteristics for
seasideparasol, but at least decent RAM and HD, especially if targeted
to be multi web paradgm (php, pearl...) and also, a good quality of
service of the connection...

So more thant a critic, I'd like to have information on performance
(QoS) with seaside... compared maybe to others servers-side application
framework (php , java...). I'm too newbie to know that and I'd like to
see what people thinks...

On the server I mentionned, using a debian, I notice that only hitting a
seaside app. led to 50-60% proc use. Is it normal ? In this case, how
many simultaneaous connection could It support ?

On windows (dual core), around 20-30%... I juste closed opened
Transcripts and cleaned a bit the image... I know there are better
optimisation. Bur according to your experience, with a prepared
production image, what could we expect as QoS ? when do we need to load
balance, how to ? etc ...

I think this is a very important information especially for people who
want to enter production. What do do ? what not to do ?
For instance, at the last smalltalk party in Paris, I met a  guy who
developped in Seaside and who was encountering problem of image frozen
when load testing (under Linux).

Thanks for any information

Cédrick

ps: I also noticed that using firefox on linux, was far slower than
using firefox on windows (for the rendering)... which is why I came back
to windows... (anyway, it's more a problem with Linuw I guess than with
squeak).