HostFont and TTFont issues

Viktor Svub gilrandir at centrum.cz
Wed Dec 13 21:32:35 UTC 2006

Hi,
one of the things that hinders me in using Squeak (and I believe a lot
of non-native english speakers too) is the its' lack of support for free
& nice-looking national fonts.
There is sure the posiibility to load any TTF font file, and the
resulting TextStyle has the right emphasis for bold and italic styles,
and character kerning, but... the rendering is that plain ugly, it makes
the style unusable for longer work.
The other way might be loading a TTF as a HostFont (StrikeFont), which
is (in most cases) very nice and looks almost as clean as a bitmap font,
but... for the free, almost completely nationalized "Bitstream Vera"
font family, the Italic style is broken (too wide chars and no kerning
at all).
I'm not a Squeak expert, and i have still some problems understanding
the whole textstyle/font thing and it's creation/rendering mechanics in
particular, not talking about fixing it...
Is there any work done (or in progress) to make the HostFonts properly
load and use the complete font info (emphasis, kerning) for all styles
(and maybe to speed up the rendering) of these fonts?
Thanks for every suggestion.
Viktor Svub