Iterative development with MCConfigurations

Ron Teitelbaum Ron at USMedRec.com
Thu Dec 14 03:35:01 UTC 2006

Hi Chris,

I've been doing lots of saves but no versioning of the configuration file.
I miss that from envy, but I figured that as I go if I need a persistent
checkpoint I would just add a version number and change the name.  For the
most part since you are working with packages that are versioned it's easy
to rollback when you need too manually.

The other thing to keep in mind is that you don't have to save the
configuration file.  When I get to a point that everything is working the
way I want it to I save the file.  From then on I only version the packages.
When I start up each day I open the configuration file and update from
repositories.  (This can be dangerous when squeakSource is down.  You end up
everyone including all my new code (I'm running my own squeakSource for my
code).  I keep an image with no objects created (I don't run any apps) and
load code.  If the code loading time gets to long I'll save an image with
just the code loaded.

So I have basically three things to help manage code.

1. Check point on saved configuration file
2. The current working point.  Loading versioned packages accessed by using
update from repositories.
3. Current working checkpoint on saved code-load-only image.

Hope that helps,

Ron Teitelbaum