Thue-Morse and performance: Squeak v.s. Strongtalk v.s. VisualWorks

Michael Haupt mhaupt at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 14:58:12 UTC 2006

Hi Klaus,

On 12/17/06, Klaus D. Witzel <klaus.witzel at cobss.com> wrote:
> > I can always design you a benchmark that makes a particular system look
> > bad.
>
> C'mon. It's either faster or it's not. No way out.

exactly, you're absolutely right there.

The question is which conclusions you draw from such a punctual
observation. And the conclusion you initially drew - something along
the lines of "I thought Strongtalk was the fastest Smalltalk, whoops,
that's not true" - is far too general in the limited light your
particular measurement sheds on Strongtalk performance.

I guess this is what it boils down to. Judging an entire system's
performance by just one small simple point of observation just doesn't
work. (I must admit that this started me in the first place.)

Best,

Michael