Callbacks from C into Squeak

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Dec 18 23:14:44 UTC 2006

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 06:42:35PM +0100, Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
> I've worked with mainframe computers of these people (beware: gif patent
> holders)
>
> - http://www.google.com/search?q=WebTx+ipc+shared+memory
>
> for quite some time. We had a supplemental Unix box integrated into the
> mainframe (other users choose to integrate MS boxen) for various purposes.
> The interface was very versatile and the fastest transport was shared
> memory (of course, for very high volume bank transactions ...). IIRC this
> interface establishes connection using pipes and then just tells "new data
> arrived" (like with your call/callback), after updating shared memory.
>
> Perhaps such a shared memory approach is of use for you, perhaps in
> concert with Dave's pipe solution (but I don't know of any Squeak support
> for shared memory).

Interesting idea. There is no support for shared memory in Squeak right
now, but in principle it's no different from other OS and C runtime calls
in the OSProcessPlugin. I think that the shared memory interface for Unix
platforms is fairly well standardized, and there are Win32 analogues,
so that it could be provided across most platforms.

Dave