Squeak on Nintendo DS

Aaron Reichow revaaron at bitquabit.com
Tue Dec 19 17:00:11 UTC 2006

I'm quite curious about this myself, both as a user and developer of
Squeak on PDAs, but I'm also a fan and owner of a DS.

I've never used Squeak on a machine *that* slow, but I have used
Squeak on a machine at least in the same league- the VTech Helio with
its 75 MHz MIPS CPU.  No way you're going to run Morphic, both
because of speed and memory availability on something so skimpy like
the DS.  But MVC is incredibly fast- I've run it just fine under DOS
and Linux on 33 MHz 486 machines, which is more powerful than the 33
MHz ARM most likely in the DS, but still.

I think I can say (conjecture) that the simple CharRecog character
recognizer that is apart of Squeak and works great in MVC would run
fast enough as well.  Some work would need to be done on it to allow
a person to train it, selecting the intended character using the D-
pad and A button. A soft keyboard could be written as well, but
outside my expertise (for MVC at least).

Looking forward to hearing more about this...

Regards,
Aaron