SUnit improvements easystart

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 19 17:06:09 UTC 2006

To obtain an updates SUnit and SUnit GUI with the latest Installer Execute:

(fixed typo)
Installer fixBug: 5639.

I am pleased to announce that after a major UI shakedown following my
previous email, the enhancements to SUnit may now be ready to use.

I have separated 'suites' from 'suite filters' though they work in very
similar ways they are able to handle orthogonal ideas.

On my machine the list is displayed as follows.

Suites:

AllStandardTests
MyProject
YourProject

Filters:

Bug Fixes
Expected Failures
Long Tests
Non Squeak36 Vm Tests
Non Squeak39 Tests
Non Win32 Tests

---
Tutorial

1. Select 'All Standard Tests', select all in the categories and
classes. Run the entire test suite (it takes a while).
2. In the SuitesAndFiltersMenu, you can browse all of the tests. Notice
how the presentation of methods in the method list has been customised
for this task. Individual test timings are displayed here.
3. Select the 'define long...' menu option and set long to be 1000,
milliseconds.
4. Select the Categorise Long Methods menu option. On my machine that
marks approximately 195 tests as being long.
5. Now if you select the Long Tests Filter and run the tests again, you
will only have the short tests to run.
6. If you select the "Filters Select Tests" option, then Browse Chosen
Methods, you will see all of the Long Tests. Running this time will run
'only' the Long Methods.

- using the other filters depends upon the test writer
tagging/categorising specific tests usefully.

I note that using 3.9 final I still have around 20
as always feedback is very welcome.

Keith

p.s. I hope to include some pragma support when I understand them.