Squeak and Seaside Stability

Ramon Leon ramonleon at cox.net
Wed Dec 20 05:13:47 UTC 2006

> Ramon, Jon -
>
> This is really confusing. Just to make sure we're measuring the same
> things (and not some random numbers that have no relation to reality ;-)
> let's make sure we're measuring the same thing. When I was running the
> test I used the windows task manager which, under the performance tab,
> displays the the number of total handles, threads, processes, memory etc.
>
> When running the test I saw no relevant change in either handles,
> threads, memory, or commit charge. Did you use the same mechanism or did
> you use something else? If you didn't use the windows task manager, what
> did you use? And what does windows task manager report? If you see a
> change can you send me the before/after values when running our little
> "benchmark"?
>
> Thanks,
>   - Andreas

Actually, that works as well, but I was using the process tab, after
choosing view/select columns and adding handles and threads to the
display.  This lets me see that it's Squeak eating those handles.

However, on my machine, now at home, totally different box, but also
Windows XP Pro, same behavior, each time I call NetNameResolver
localHostName, the handle count goes up by 1 on the Squeak process.
Calling 1000 timesRepeat: [NetNameResolver localHostName] naturally
kicks it up by exactly 1000, quite reliably.

If you have more tests, send em, I'll run em, if you want my image,
here's my image, VM, and all
http://onsmalltalk.com/downloads/DevImage.zip, anything I can do to
assist, let me know, this has been a pain in my but for weeks already,
I'm just glad I found out what was causing my image to crash.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com