Floating point performance and a GPU

David Faught dave.faught at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 16:52:51 UTC 2006

Hi Daniel,

daniel poon wrote:
>BTW has anybody ported Squeak to a GPU? Have you seen how folding at home
>is leveraging GPUs?
>
>http://folding.stanford.edu/FAQ-ATI.html

I don't know of anyone actually trying to port Squeak to a GPU,
although that could be an interesting experiment.  I am guessing it
would require at least a major rewrite and maybe an entire redesign of
Squeak to make any use of the multithreaded GPU environment.  I have
the impression that there are major restrictions on the overall size
of programs running on a GPU, which could be a problem.

There are other efforts that look like the Folding at Home project, at
least for the local system, like NVidia's Cuda
(http://developer.nvidia.com/object/cuda.html) and the GPGPU project
(http://www.gpgpu.org/).