Squeak on Nintendo DS

Hans N Beck private at hans-n-beck.de
Fri Dec 22 08:38:56 UTC 2006

Hi Alexandre,

Am 14.12.2006 um 18:41 schrieb Alexandre Jasmin:

> I ported the VM to the DS a few month ago.
>
> I only spent a weekend on it, so it's not working very well but I can
> make it a bit more usuable if you need to use it.
>
> You need to use a third party flash card to run anything that's not
> certified by Nintendo and since the DS have only 4MiB of ram on the DS
> don't expect to use your regular image.
>
> I wasn't able to implement the save function because the file system
> driver for my flash card doesn't support writing yet but I guess it's
> doable.

Is ist expensive and / or complicated to use these "homebrew"
things ? From the descriptions in the internet it seems not, but
practice may be different ;-)

As far as I know, there are emulators for DS to run on a PC, so one
could make an optimized Squeak version (VM) in a  more easy way ?
 From the practical use I would use Squeak as scripting or
integrating part for use the SDK API to develop games. So the
important part would be to have the mechanism of smalltalk, not the
normal image....

Regards

Hans