Design Principles Behind Smalltalk, Revisited

Jimmie Houchin j.squeak at cyberhaus.us
Wed Dec 27 05:19:34 UTC 2006

Paul D. Fernhout wrote:
> I've looked at lua a little, but I really like Smalltalk syntax. :-)
> It seems there are several prototype based systems (including IO the
> language) but they all seem to start out thinking Smalltalk (or Self)
> keyword syntax is a problem, whereas for me I see it as a solution.
>
> All the best. You might find our free software, especially the
> PlantStudio program, of interest for homeschooling for your kids. :-)
> That's the biggest thing I want to port to a dynamic language like
> Squeak or Python (from Delphi).

I too love the Smalltalk syntax. It enabled me to learn Smalltalk
rapidly. The environment kept me comfortable as I learned the libraries
and provided me tremendous availability to learn.  But the syntax is
attached to Smalltalk. Now that isn't a bad thing necessarily. But if
you are looking at options which are not Smalltalk including Python and
Ruby which were mentioned in your essay. And I know you have worked
extensively with Python even tho' seemingly with angst. :)

In the options category I offered Lua. Lua is as much like Smalltalk and
more than some. 1 based indexing. Yeah! Blocks. do ... end.  No it isn't
Smalltalk, but if non-Smalltalks are an option then consider Lua. :)
I think it is much closer to the philosophy of Smalltalk, Self and also
the syntax than either Python or Ruby. Now, I know you have a
significant investment in Python. But if alternatives are an option
consider improving Lua. :)

If not, then please tell us what lacketh an Apache licensed Squeak
requires for you to use? What compels you to look beyond Squeak? And if
you look beyond Squeak then the Smalltalk syntax isn't an option. As an
option Lua is nice. But it does desire libraries.

Unfortunately, can't try anything that's not Mac OS X or Linux. I don't
do Windows. So until your software is ported, can't try it.

Portability is one of the beautiful things about Squeak. Lua also is
incredibly portable. But graphics depend on the specific library. But of
course your accustomed to that. ;)

Squeak and/or Lua are very nice options.

Options are good.

Jimmie