Design Principles Behind Smalltalk, Revisited

Jimmie Houchin j.squeak at cyberhaus.us
Thu Dec 28 19:43:01 UTC 2006

Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:
> In another message in this thread you mentioned the story that Java was
> started only because Sun couldn't get a reasonable license from
> Parcplace. I have heard this a few times before but don't believe it -
> Sun had a good Smalltalk for free in the form of Self and it would have
> been easier for them to reshape that to their needs if they had
> seriously considered going in that direction.

Sun has definitely made some sad decisions.

Strongtalk, Self, Tcl/Tk, ...

I would have rather had a better performing, bytecode compiled, vm
based, standardized OO Tcl with a modernized Tk  than what Java is. And
it would have cost them less, IMO.

I would have thought improving Strongtalk would have been a whole lot
less expensive that all the Java machinations.

Self, hmm. Don't really know enough about Self. But I bet Sun could have
done something better for less.

What a legacy.

Oh well. :(

Jimmie