Debugging a plugin

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Feb 2 01:17:17 UTC 2006

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 08:37:43PM -0000, Cowdery, Bob [UK] wrote:
> David
>
> I tried a few more things and it's clear I have a problem somewhere. If
> I use the original plugin it does load it and tells me this:
>
> OSProcess versionInformation #('OSProcess version 4.0' 'CommandShell
> version 3.0.2' 'Squeak3.7 of ''4 September 2004'' [latest update: #5989]
> with Win32OSProcessPlugin version 4.0 using concrete class
> Win32OSProcessPluginNoThisSessionAvailable installed with OSProcess
> version 4.0, running on NT Win32 VM with installed plugin
> Win32OSProcessPlugin 17 July 2003 (e) version 3.0.6 (plugin does not
> match class in image)')

OK, so that's working fine. But I don't think that OSPP 3.0.6 had the
Win32 console and stdout primitives.

> If I use the new one you sent me it does not load it and tells me this:
>
> OSProcess versionInformation #('OSProcess version 4.0' 'CommandShell
> version 3.0.2' 'Squeak3.7 of ''4 September 2004'' [latest update: #5989]
> with Win32OSProcessPlugin version 4.0 using concrete class
> Win32OSProcessPluginNoThisSessionAvailable installed with OSProcess
> version 4.0, running on NT Win32 VM with installed plugin
> (OSProcessPlugin installed module not accessible)')

Oops, I sent you a dll that does not work. Sorry about that. The dll
that I sent you was probably built on a newer Squeak source/VMMaker
than you are using. Mea culpa.

> I may have messed up as I did build the 3.7 source when I was compiling
> the plugin. I actually didn't need to and don't do that anymore but it
> looks like I could have the 3.7 VM and the 3.8 image running. Don't know
> if that could do strange things.

As long as you are building a VM anyway, the easiest thing to do is
just install OSProcessPlugin from SqueakMap and build it as an external
plugin along with whatever else you are doing. The 3.7 source should
be perfectly OK. I tried to make OSPP and OSProcess backward compatible,
and although I didn't really test much on Windows I think it will be
fine on 3.7.

Dave